Sleep like a baby with our sleep well tips
1. Switch off! Turn off all electronic devices at least an hour before you go to bed and keep them out of the bedroom at night time. The light from a screen distrupts the body's natural circadian rhythm and stops your brain from producing melatonin, which is essential for sleep.
2. Have a relaxing night time ritual. Something stress-free and relaxing, such as a warm bath, hot shower or even reading a book can help ease anxiety and create a sense of calm before bed time.
3. Complete darkness. Even a small amount of light can disrupt melanin production and affect your ability to fall asleep. Try and create a darker environment with black out blinds or curtains (a cheaper alternative can be aluminium foil) over the windows to keep light out.
4. Exercise. Try and do at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise during the day. Even a brisk walk for 30 minutes can improve your sleep quality. But make sure you exercise at least a couple of hours before bed time as exercising too close to bed time will stimulate your body and keep you up instead.
5. Reduce caffeine. This one's a no brainer but cutting down on caffeine and consuming no caffeine at all (this includes tea, energy drinks and cola) after 3pm will have you falling asleep faster when it's time for bed.